Getting To This Blog Has Gotten Harder

I suppose many of you know this. And I’d like to thank those of you who have reached out to me to tell me about these problems. Since I don’t read this blog in a feed reader and I don’t search for it, I was not initially aware of these problems. I am now and we are trying to fix them. Here’s what’s been happening:

1) When we moved from avc.blogs.com to avc.com, we messed up the 301 redirect. With typepad’s help and the help of Nathan, Andrew, and Eric, we got a working 301 redirect up and we are slowly getting our google juice back. But it’s been largely gone from this blog for the past 45 days. You cannot get here by searching for fredwilson, avc, or a vc, the three most popular search terms for this blog over the past five years. I am sorry about that and I am seeing signs that they are all coming back. Just this morning, all three terms got a front page result on google, the first time that’s happened. Prior to moving URLs, this blog was the first result for all three terms.

2) The primary feed for this blog http://feeds.feedburner.com/AVc got screwed up. I still am not entirely sure what happened with that because we switched blog URLs at almost the exact same time that Google/FeedBurner moved that feed over to their new Google powered service. You’ll note that if you ask for this blog’s feed now, you’ll get http://feedproxy.google.com/AVc. Those are one and the same URL and you do not need to update to the new URL in your feedreader. But for some reason, possibly related to the move of this blog’s domain, those URLs got messed up and the main feed was not updating for a while. I am told this has been fixed for the past several weeks so everyone who is subscribed to the main feed should be getting the updates in your feed reader. Please tell me if that is not the case.

2) The secondary feed for this blog http://feeds.feedburner.com/AVcVentureCapitalAndTechnology which delivers only my vc/tech posts is still messed up and has not updated since early August. I just realized that this feed was messed up as well and we are working to fix it now.

These screwups have had an impact on readership but it’s not been terrible. Here are the google analytics stats on this blog for the month before and the month after switching domains:

30 days before:

July_aug

30 days after:

Aug_4_sept_4_2

Some of this drop is probably atrributable to august so maybe this blog lost 5-10% of its readership because of these screwups. And search traffic has declined from 35% of traffic to 27% of traffic during the same time.

When I look at the "reach" stat in feedburner which is the number of people who actually read the blog via a feedreader each day, I don’t see much of a decline in that number for the main feed, but a big drop in the number of people who read the vc/tech only posts. As I said, I am on that now and I’ll get it fixed.

Again, I am sorry for these screwups and we are working to get them fixed. Moving domains and moving feeds hasn’t gone as smoothly as I’d hoped but because so many of you are loyal readers, it’s likely to be a blip not a catastrophe.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]