A Bunch Of New Stuff From Boxee
Image via CrunchBase
Our portfolio company Boxee is announcing a bunch of new stuff tonight (Tues night) in San Francisco. I blogged about this event last week and I hope some of you were able to attend as I could not. Here's some of the highlights from today's announcement:
- A new homepage that actually describes what Boxee is and why you should care
- A public alpha of the Windows version. Now the three versions, Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu are in sync on features. The plan is to keep them that way going forward.
- A partnership with Major League Baseball to offer MLB Premium to Boxee users. Live sports on Boxee is a "you have to see it" experience.
- A new navigation layout that clearly differentiates from streaming apps (like MLB Premium) and local media.
- A partnership with Digg to create Digg for TV
- A Tumblr app for Boxee (two USV portfolio companies working together always warms my heart)
- 1080p HD videos on Ubuntu
- A whole bunch of new Boxee apps (some of which I blogged about last week) resulting from the Boxee App Dev Challenge. The winners will be announced tonight.
There's a live stream of the event tonight provided by Justin.tv. I'm going to try to watch it live since I can't be there.
This is just the beginning for Boxee and bringing video on the web to your living room television. I'll use a baseball analogy in honor of MLB's partnership with Boxee. I feel like this "web video to the living room" is a nine inning game and we are in the first or second inning right now. It's going to be exciting to watch and participate in.