Building A Diverse Culture And Team
Brittany posted today about the first USV portfolio diversity summit. Last year we had forty-two portfolio summits all driven by topics that bubble up from our portfolio. Diversity has been rising as a topic that people want to talk about and we reacted to that by hosting a summit on it. We had 28 attendees from 13 different portfolio companies in attendance.
In Brittany’s post, she cites two important reasons to strive for diversity on your team:
- Do you want your company to increase your company’s competitive advantage? Extensive research has proven that more diverse perspectives leads to more innovative ideas and better financial returns.
- Do you want your company to one day serve millions of people? It helps if you know how different people in the population think. If companies want to last, they need to think about this early.
She goes on to outline how the portfolio companies are approaching diversity:
- Getting Started: having the discussion, language, and online tools
- Company Culture: embracing diversity, inclusive mission vision values, and performance
- Recruiting: tactics, expectations, interviews, job postings, resources, and external organizations
- Constant Evolution: Feedback, measuring success, training, and materials
If you are seeking to build a diverse culture and team in your company, I would encourage you to read Brittany’s post which she will follow with dedicated posts on all four topics in the outline.